Saturday, April 9, 2011

Food and Family

I love food. Food is my biggest motivator. It's also a comfort to eat food when I'm down. It is a good thing that Randy loves food too! I come from a family who loves food! We appreciate good food. My dad is a grocer. He is the owner of our family market, Wolfe's Marketplace, affectionately known in our family as "the store;" located in beautiful Claremont, CA.



It's a specialty grocery store that sell only yummy foods. It is an exceptional grocery store and I love it for the food and the memories. "The store" has been in our family since 1917, started by my great-great grandpa. Above the fresh, ripe produce is a mural with pictures of my great-grandpa's airplane and a produce truck with JD Wolfe & CO painted on it, a tribute to my great-great grandfather, John David Wolfe.



I miss that place. I spent most of my life there! I considered it my second home. As a little kid I would go to the store to visit my grandpa and my dad, eat some lunch, and get groceries with my mom. I remember juicing lemons in the back with my cousin, Micah and sneaking candy bars home with help from a friend in the meat department, who would wrap up the candy bars in butcher paper. As a teen, I came to the store, during school to eat lunch with my parents. It was also the first place that I worked. I worked in the kitchen selling fresh salads, homemade guacamole, and desserts. If I were to visit the store today, I would see my Mom, Dad, Brother-in-law, and possibly my grandpa, my sister, her kids, my grandma, and my aunt and uncle. I would also see friends who have worked for our family for years and good customers from the Claremont community.

This is a picture of my cute dad in the store.


The store also catered all of my siblings weddings, mine and Randy's included!





Doesn't the food look beautiful? The best part is that it tastes amazing! You can see why I love this place so much! Now that I'm away from home, I realize that I didn't appreciate the store as much as I should have. Because I was raised to have such an appreciation for good food, I love to cook and make good food. I just wish that the store was closer so that I could get the best quality foods! But even more, I wish the store was close so that I could walk inside and see my family. For anyone visiting Southern California I suggest taking a trip to Wolfe's Market! You won't be disappointed! But, if you are like me and not visiting tomorrow, take a look at their new blog! Visit www.Wolfesmarket.blogspot.com and check out daily specials and gorgeous pictures of our bakery, wine selection, produce, and meat department!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you make me miss it too and I don't even have a 10th of the good memories you do from "the store". I remember my first time visiting the store... I got up early to go running and ran right down to the store to meet your dad. I could see the pride in his eyes for what a great store he had. :)

    ReplyDelete